Quarterly Empties

Boy do I have a monstrous empties post today! After I got back from my trip in mid-december, as I was putting away all my new purchases, I realised I had a lot of half-used products and a ridiculous amount of samples that were just sitting there taking up space. So I made a conscious effort to try and use up as many of those as I can before I start using my new goodies. I'm pretty proud because I managed to clear out a total of 57 products, of which 16 were full-sized and 41 were samples. As a lot of these are samples, I'll only elaborate on some products. I won't be reviewing everything but to make it a bit easier, I have categorised them into 4 groups. 

Products that I loved and will definitely repurchase if I haven't already (14): 
If I haven't repurchased these, it's simply because I want to use up similar products in my stash first but I know I will be coming back to them as they are products that I can always rely on.


All the skincare in this category are absolute staples for me. I am already onto my next Banila Co Clean It Zero (review) and Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion +, both of which I use on the daily. I have 2 other overnight hydrating masks that I want to finish before I repurchase the Laneige Water Sleeping Pack but this is one of my top 2 sleeping masks. It's super lightweight but whenever I use this, my skin just drinks it right up leaving me with plump and radiant skin in the morning.
This must be the 3rd or 4th tube of Effaclar Duo that I've gone through so that speaks for itself on how much I love it. This, along with Serozinc (both from La Roche Posay) are total skin saviors whenever I'm experiencing troubled skin. They clear and soothe blemishes or inflammation like nothing else and they don't dry out my skin either. I think I'll wait for the next Priceline promotion to stock up.
I used to have combination skin but in the last few months, my skin has been a lot dryer than normal. This was my first time trying the Cetaphil Moisturising Cream for Dry Sensitive Skin and oh my goodness, I freaking love it! You only need the tiniest amount, it's incredibly hydrating without being greasy and it absorbs so easily. I have a couple more moisturisers I want to get through before I buy a full sized tub.
I have so many sheet masks and I don't use them enough, this is the Black Pearl Mask from My Beauty Diary. The effects are usually short term but I really like these as an immediate boost of hydration.
After trying both the Trilogy and Kosmea Rosehip Oil, I have to say I prefer the latter. That is not the say the Trilogy one is bad, I think it's just a matter of personal choice when it comes down to these two offerings. I saw improvements in my skin instantly after the first night of using the Kosmea one, I don't think the Trilogy one was as effective on me. My skin had never been in better condition whilst I was using this and since finishing the bottle, I can definitely see a difference in the absence of it. The only thing I had to get past was the smell because it is seriously pungent. I will be investing in a full sized bottle but I'm hoping to find a good deal since it's considerably more expensive than the Trilogy one. How cute is the 10ml bottle though, I'm going to keep it for travelling.

On the makeup front I finished a few bits. The Maybelline Lash Sensational is my favourite drugstore and non-asian mascara, it does wonders even for my stubby asian lashes. If you saw my latest hauls (here and here) though, you'll see that I won't be buying mascaras for a while. I'm sure the NARS Creamy Concealer (Vanilla) needs no introduction, it's just as good as everyone say it is. I'm currently using the Urban Decay concealer and I'm so torn about which one I like better. I reviewed the Clio Gelpresso Pencil Gel Liner last year and I've since used up 3/5 liners in the mini set. They're everything I'd want in a pencil liner - affordable, pigmented, smooth, waterproof and long-lasting.
I already have backups of the Dollywink Liquid Liner in Brown, and IOPE Air Cushion Compact in N23 (review).

Products that were really nice to use and I might repurchase in the future (9):


Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Makeup Setting Spray, Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper, Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner in Black, Avène Cleanance Emulsion, Avène Cleanance K Cream-Gel, Avène Hydrance Optimale Rich Hydrating Cream, Bioderma Atoderm Crème Nourishing Cream, Innisfree Olive Real Power Cream, Blistex Deep Renewel Lip Protectant/Sunscreen, 

Really enjoyed all the moisturisers from Avène and Bioderma in this category but the full sized versions are too expensive and I'd rather buy a tub of the Cetaphil moisturiser mentioned earlier! 
I don't know how long I've had this UD setting spray but you can probably judge by the packaging. The nozzle broke when I was only halfway through the bottle so I stopped using it. I've just had this for far too long, it was time for it to go.
I've always used Japanese liquid liners but at the end of last year, I tried and used up two of the most popular and accessible black liquid liners on the market. I prefer the KVD one, the ink is blacker and you can get a more precise line with the brush. However, if you don't use a strong enough makeup remover, trying to take it off can irritate your eyes. The Stila one was fine at first but the felt tip began to fray very quickly. As the KVD one retails for $28 and the Stila $33, I found myself going back to the Japanese liners which are around $12. They are not as dark but they are just as long-wearing. One liner usually lasts me at least 3-4 months.
The Blistex lipbalm was nice for day to day but not one to save severely chapped lips. I love the slightly sweet taste it has but that might not be for everyone.

Products that were all right but I won't repurchase (18):


Lomasi Ginger Lime Body Crème, Innisfree Olive Real Skin, Innisfree Apple Juicy Liquid Foaming Cleanser, Innisfree Olive Real Essential Oil x 2, Tony Moly Intense Care Dual Effect Sleeping Pack, Laneige White Plus Renew Essence, L'Oreal Base Magique, Murad Hydro-dynamic Skin Tonic, Swisse Deep Sea Hydrating Mist Toner, Nivea Rich Moisturising Body Moisturizer, Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase, Avène Cleanance Gel, Elizabeth Arden Superstart Skin Renewel Booster, Avène Gentle Purifying Scrub, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Roll-On,  La Roche Posay Effaclar K, Nivea Light Moisturising Day Cream.

These products weren't life changing but they weren't bad products, I just prefer other products of the same type. I will say though, the Lomasi Ginger and Lime Body Crème smelt so good! Too bad it's not readily available and that it doesn't come in a big tub, or I would happily repurchase.


Products that I didn't really care for or disliked (16):


Fudge Hothed Violet Mousse, OmSHE Aromatherapy Buff Away Face Polish, Thalgo Soft Hydrating Emulsion, Mirenesse Power Lift Multiaction Silk Cleanser, Dior Capture Totale Emulsion Multi Perfection, ROC Complete Lift Lifting Daily Moisturizer, Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm, Attorrege AD+ Face Moist and Medicated Skin Treatment, Say It With Scent Frangipani Hand and Body Lotion, Appelles Bath & Body Body Booster Skin Lotion in Wild BerryOcean Essence Natural Skincare Coconut Body Milk, Kate Somerville Nourish HydraGel Mask, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Calming Facial Lotion, Missha Super Squa Blackhead Clear Oil, Missha Super Aqua Pore Minimising Mask.

These products had me like "meh"for the majority. A handful of them I didn't like simply because of the scent. The Dermalogica eye cream felt enriching but the raspberry smell was too overpowering, it bothered me a lot. The rest just didn't do anything. I hated the face exfoliator from OmSHE and the Thalgo emulsion so I ended up using them to exfoliate and moisturise my legs instead of my face.
The Fudge Hothed Violet Mousse is supposed to be a heat protectant that also tones the colour and gives volume. I used 1/5 of the product before the nozzle broke on me and now I can't use the rest of the can. My receipt is long gone too so I can't refund it.
I was disappointed in the Kate Somerville hydrating mask, I much prefer my asian sheet/sleeping masks. I was given samples of her famous goat milk moisturiser while I was in America and I didn't think much of that product either so maybe this brand just isn't for me.

So that's it for my first quarterly empties post for the year. It was a long one so major points to you if you've made it to here. Honestly, it felt so good to see my empties accumulate - it was almost addictive. Now I can finally throw out my trash.

Have you tried any of these products?

chloé

No comments